Modern Day Leadership – According to ChatGPT
With nearly 6 months of learning under its belt, the team at IPAA Queensland had a go at using ChatGPT.
An artificial intelligence chatbot developed by OpenAI and launched in November 2022, it was built using a family of large language models and has been fine tuned using both supervised and reinforcement learning techniques.
It is causing disruption across many industries and sectors, and while it can answer questions, write essays summarise documents, and write software; it doesn’t know what’s true.
So – what outcome came from asking the all important question “What skills should I build to be a great leader?”, the below response came through:
Being a great leader requires a combination of various skills, including:
- Effective communication: Great leaders communicate clearly and effectively, whether it’s one-on-one or in front of a large group.
- Vision: A great leader has a clear and compelling vision for the future and is able to inspire and motivate their team towards achieving that vision.
- Emotional intelligence: A great leader is able to recognize and understand their own emotions, as well as the emotions of those around them. This enables them to manage relationships effectively and respond appropriately to different situations.
- Decision-making: Great leaders are able to make quick, informed decisions based on available data and their own judgment.
- Empathy: Great leaders have the ability to put themselves in their team members’ shoes and understand their needs, motivations, and concerns.
- Adaptability: Great leaders are able to adapt to changing circumstances and are willing to change their approach when necessary.
- Delegation: Great leaders know how to delegate tasks effectively and trust their team members to carry out their responsibilities.
- Strategic thinking: Great leaders are able to think strategically and see the big picture, while also paying attention to details.
- Accountability: Great leaders take responsibility for their own actions and the actions of their team members.
- Continuous learning: Great leaders are always learning and seeking new knowledge and skills to improve themselves and their team.
What do you think of this reply? Do you think it relates strongly to the capabilities of modern day leaders? Is this too optimistic? Is it too idealist? Or is it now a ‘to do’ list for you in building your skills to be the best modern day leader you can be?
About IPAA Queensland:
Like these insights? Join as an individual member to enjoy these insights and more.
IPAA Queensland advances the professionalism, capability and integrity of public administration and public purpose work and promotes pride in service.
If you’re a public servant or engaged in public purpose work, we encourage you to get to know and connect with IPAA Queensland. Find out more about us by reading more on our site or through joining as a member here.